Struggling to get your cat desexed?
If you live in the Waikato we can help! We know it’s tough out there so New Lives and our partner veterinary clinics are offering subsidised cat desexing in the Waikato.
You contribute $70 towards having your cat desexed, microchipped and registered on the New Zealand Companion Animal Register, and we’ll take care of the rest of the bill!
This is currently a high trust model with no requirement to show a community services card but we do expect people to only purchase vouchers if they truly need them. Funding is limited so if you are able to afford to have your cat desexed without a hand up, please leave the vouchers for those who are genuinely struggling.
If you are having issues purchasing a voucher, please email [email protected] for help.
How It Works
Fill out the form below to see if you're eligible. If you are, you'll be automatically redirected and able to purchase a voucher. There's no limit but terms and conditions do apply
Book A Vet Appointment
Give the participating vet clinic you've chosen a call to book in using your voucher number
Drop Your Cat @ The Vet
Drop your cat off at the vet clinic in a safe carrier and pick them up later that day
Knowing that your pet is desexed and microchipped. Go you!
What You Need To Know
- The sex of your cat. If you’re not sure, there’s a handy guide to your right (click to zoom in).
- They’ve got to be over 1kg and healthy. That’s generally around 10-12 weeks old. If they’ve got a bit of cat flu (click here for examples of what you’re looking for), ringworm (click here for examples of what you’re looking for), or they’ve got a bit of diarrhoea you will have to wait a little bit until they’re healthy enough for an operation.
- You’ll need a safe carrier to transport your cat(s) to the vet clinic in. If you don’t have one they can be gotten very cheaply from Kmart or second hand, or a friend may have one you can borrow.
- Your cat can’t eat before surgery. Keep them inside the night before their appointment to stop them disappearing and take their food away before 9pm.
- You’ll need to be able to drop them at the vet clinic between 8am and 9am, and pick them up that afternoon.
Terms & Conditions
- This subsidy can only be used at participating veterinary clinics. At the moment that’s CareVets Hamilton South and CareVets Horsham Downs.
- This subsidy is only available for cats that you own.
- Cats must be over 1kg and healthy.
- All cats will have a microchip implanted and be registered to you on the New Zealand Companion Animal Register (NZCAR).
- Where you have an existing NZCAR account and the contact details are incorrect (e.g. you have moved and not updated your address) you give New Lives Animal Rescue permission to update these details.
- If the veterinarian on the day notices live fleas on your cat(s) or signs of a worm burden, a topical worm and flea treatment (Broadline) will be applied at your cost ($15 per cat). This is payable directly to the veterinary clinic upon collection of the cat(s).
- The cat(s) must be transported to the veterinary clinic in a safe carry cage.
- This subsidy isn’t available to people who can afford to pay retail veterinary prices, for unfriendly cats, cats that you do not own, cats that you will be rehoming, to breeders, for purebred (or part-bred) ‘fancy’ cats, to people who have purchased a cat from a breeder (backyard or registered) or another party, rescuers or other shelters, or for TNR (Trap – Neuter – Release) projects.
- Vouchers will be cancelled at the sole discretion of New Lives Animal Rescue where they have been obtained by deception or where the purchaser fails to attend their veterinary clinic booking. When a voucher has been cancelled no refund will be given.
- Where a voucher has been obtained by deception and successfully redeemed, the purchaser will be invoiced for the full veterinary costs incurred on their behalf by New Lives Animal Rescue. In the event of non-payment, this debt will referred for debt collection inclusive of reasonable collection costs.
Are You Eligible?
To determine whether or not you are eligible for subsidised community desexing please fill in the form below. If you are ineligible, you will not be able to proceed with the form or purchasing a voucher. If you are eligible, you will be able to submit the form and will be redirected to the voucher purchase page. Please be patient while the page reloads.
Please note: Vouchers will be cancelled and no refund will be given where you are not eligible for subsidised desexing but obtain a voucher anyway. Where a voucher has been obtained by deception and successfully redeemed, the purchaser will be invoiced for the full veterinary costs incurred on their behalf by New Lives Animal Rescue. In the event of non-payment, this debt will referred for debt collection inclusive of reasonable collection costs.